Friday, February 15, 2008

What's cooking: Fresh cilantro dressing

One of the luxuries we allow ourselves is a box of fresh, organic produce every week. Although we have good places to buy local organic produce, there is something about a pre-packed box that is irresistable. There's no planning or shopping required, and we often get produce that we would not normally buy but discover we really like. Tokyo turnips are one of these things. They're tender and best eaten raw. We like them sliced in salads but really enjoyed them tossed with this dressing, the recipe for which was included in the newsletter accompanying our box this week. Cilantro, Tokyo turnips, and green garlic were all among produce included in this week's box.



CILANTRO DRESSING

1 1/2 cup (packed) fresh cilantro


5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 stalks green garlic (use the entire stalk)

1 cup olive oil

Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a blender. Blend well. With blender on, drizzle in olive oil until emusified.

I tossed the chopped turnips and some diced carrots in this dressing.


The rest of dinner was an easy Friday night meal: Chicken tacos made from grocery-store-purchased rotisserie chicken, served with homemade guacamole, store-bought fresh salsa, cheese, fresh cilantro, vegetarian refried beans, corn tortillas, and a green salad (that thing on the left is a Venus fly trap plant, and we did not eat it).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! I love cilantro and I have yet to find a store-bought guacamole that even comes close to homemade. In some things, homemade is the only way to go, don't you think?

KatieGirlBlue said...

Oh, once again your dinner beats mine. Honey's in Bishop, so last night Arnie and I ate stale crackers, borderline brie and Junior Mints. Hmmph.

So, I'd look into the Alta Peruvian, too. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included in room cost (the food's supposed to be awesome), and it's run by the nicest people in the world. The Rustler Lodge, which is gorgeous and features an unbelievable art collection, is way expensive but has a house Golden Retriever, which is always nice. Oh, and the Alta Lodge (also very pricey) has a wonderful brunch.

Cindy said...

Kristen: I once had Trader Joe's gaucamole--it comes frozen in a little plastic bag. It wasn't great, but it was much better than I expected.

Katie: I'm envious. Of the Junior Mints. My mom used to buy us those at the movies. And brie goes a long way on the borderline before it's gone!

Thanks for the lodge recommendations! I'll check into those. It's looking like next year for us, but I'll let you know what we decide. I love the idea of someone feeding me while I ski!

Greens and Pinks said...

I am most definitely trying my hand at that dressing - thank you so much! I love, love, love cilantro and am always trying to find ways to work it into dinnertime.

Skeeter said...

Hi! Your chicken tacos dish with all the trimmings looks wonderful! Just love the guacamole, always a great treat. You have a fun blog :-)

Belle said...

That looks amazing! I love cilantro. I'm going to try that dressing. :)

The Mrs. said...

That looks fabulous!!!!!