Saturday, February 16, 2008

Weekend report:
A little activity and too much quiet

Most weekends this time of year we try to be skiing. But every once in a while we decide that we should stay home and get some stuff done around the house. Thing is, last time we did that I sat around so bummed out that I didn't get anything done. Determined not to let that happen again, because heaven knows things are quite a mess around here, I took inspiration from fellow bloggers who report back after weekends with lists of what they got done around the house.

I started with things that disgust me most. The screens in our kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom windows were so clogged with dust, it is a wonder any air got through them.


CLEAN.

See this mountain of laundry?

GONE.

I turned next to the bathroom ceiling. There were all these icky little spots on the ceiling, especially over the tub (I thought grime went down the tub, but maybe it really goes to the ceiling). It's a little hard to see them here.


But it looked much better afterward.

SPARKLING, in fact.

Husband completely outdid me. He added an addition to the house. You exit our front door into . . . a little plywood box.

Here it is from the outside.

Attractive, no? Really, as soon as perhaps tomorrow I will not have a front door at all and will be accessing my house through the garage. The old temporary (if you call eight years temporary) door will go away, and a new door (currently residing in the garage) will appear in it's place. Stay tuned.

But really, all this activity is to keep our minds off the fact that our girl is gone. I dropped her off this afternoon at the house of a school friend to go camping for the weekend with that family. It is quiet, and we are sad.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm impressed. You guys are industrious!!! And handy husband--wish my guy knew how to build a plywood box that could become a new entry with a new front door. Sigh.

tulipmom said...

Impressive!

I hope you managed to sneak in a little relaxation too.

Monica said...

Good for you! The weather was so gorgeous this weekend, wasn't it?

Belle said...

I hate when they're gone, too. Pure chaos when they're here, and too quiet when they're gone.
Now, seriously, THAT is your mountain of laundry? Girl, you have no idea... There's no way I'd show you mine.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a very productive weekend!

I'm starting to get the itch to do a little spring cleaning, myself!

Anonymous said...

did sophie have last week off of school?

Cindy said...

Taylor: No, she just had Friday and today (Monday). Did you have the whole week off? Nooooooo fair!!

xxoo