Sunday, December 2, 2007

Pancake Lab: Eggnog Pancakes!!

I can't remember the last time I made a straight pancake recipe. I'm always adding something and love to give pancakes a seasonal twist. Last year I made lots of pumpkin pancakes, working to duplicate the ones we've had in a favorite restaurant. This year, I've added a new pancake to my line-up. Adrienne's eggnog cookie recipe at d.c. diaries was a hit in our household and school carpool (heaven forbid I pick up kids without snacks), but it left me with a surplus of prepared eggnog that I didn't know how to use (other than making more cookies).

Sooooo, off to the Pancake Lab. I modified my basic buttermilk pancake recipe, substituting the eggnog for the buttermilk, deleting the sugar (the eggnog is sweet enough), and adding some spices. Here's what I did:

In a medium bowl, whisk together

1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

In another bowl or large mixing cup, combine and whisk gently

1 c. prepared eggnog (you might want to add more to thin batter a little)
1 egg
2 Tbl. canola oil

Stir egg mixture into dry mixture just until moistened (mixture will be lumpy). So far, so good. It looks like pancake batter and tastes good too.














Into the heated, lightly buttered cast iron skillet:






Flip when bubbles surface.






Big S. tasted them and said "They'd be better with butter and syrup." Duh. Don't know what I'd do without his useful input. Before I was able to snap a picture of the serving plate, he did this:



But the dolls were more accommodating with their plate.

Yum! They actually do taste like eggnog, but not in a way that is overpowering. Success in Pancake Lab!

Thanks to Adrienne for the inspiration and Libby for the encouragement!

4 comments:

maggie said...

Oh. Yum. I will absolutely be trying those. Possibly yet today.

Libby said...

Those look just splendid! I think you must be off at the opera for the final show, let us know if Sophie gets her 100th kiss!

Cindy said...

I don't know if they got all the way up to that number, but their moms have exchanged phone numbers, and a date may be in the stars. Is he the cutest thing you've ever seen or what?? His mom says he's all boy but just loooooves girls.

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious! I can't wait to try them... perhaps this weekend!