Saturday, June 7, 2008

What's cooking: Really quick summer pasta

The other day I tasted my first good tomato of the season. Sophie and I are both sick of eating burritos in the car on our way across the bridge to opera, and these tomatoes provided the inspiration for a quick pasta dish (we still ate it in the car).

I don't give specific amounts, because this is a recipe that can use whatever you've got on hand. And because, let's face it, I just don't cook that way. Probably one of the many reasons I'll never write a cookbook, but also one of the reasons I've always got something good to eat at my house.

QUICK SUMMER PASTA

angel hair pasta
olive oil
garlic, chopped into large chunks (not pressed!)
prosciutto, several slices, diced
fresh tomatoes (I used cherries, which I halved)
fresh basil, chiffonade (stack leaves, roll into a cylinder, slice into thin strips)
fresh mozzarella
paremesan, shredded or grated
fresh lemon juice (I also grate the zest and throw it in too)
salt (I use this wonderful black flaked salt: tastes good and looks great)

Cook pasta in salted boiling water. While pasta is cooking, saute chopped garlic and prosciutto in olive oil over medium heat, stirring often. Watch the garlic; it can burn quickly.

Drain pasta. Rinse in hot water. Add the olive oil, garlic, and prosciutto from the pan and toss. Add the other ingredients, adjusting to taste.

I think this is a fine meal served with just a green salad, but it's also nice topped with grilled shrimp or scallops. And it was fine eaten in the car out of a plastic container.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh this looks sooo yummy!! Isn't great that the simplest dishes taste the best?? Can't wait to try this.

Anonymous said...

I do something similar. Whatever fresh vegies and herbs are in the house go in the pan with some olive oil and garlic, salt, pepper, and tossed with pasta.

You're right. It's the best way to cook. No recipe, just instinct. It's the Italian way.

But how on earth did you eat it in the car?!?!

Jennifer S said...

My mouth is watering. Will definitely make this sometime during the week.

Jackie said...

Looks delicious! Always looking for something easy on a summer day to cook.

Anonymous said...

That looks delish -- perfect for summer!

JenWebb702 said...

Yummy! Looks great.
How am I holding up? I have my moments. I have moments where I am distracted enough and then moments where I am sitting at home in silence and it is miserable. I can't believe that it has only been two weeks...it seems like a million years and that I have a million more to go before he comes home.

dsalkfj said...

Mmmm ... nice variation on my favourite easy-peasy meal of all time: fresh tomatoes, garlic and olive oil, lightly sauteed, on pasta. I'm going to try this one. Maybe even tomorrow night!

Bren said...

Yum! That sounds so delicious! I make a similar dish but am now dying to try yours.

Angelina said...

Oh yum. I want pasta. While on my eat local challenge I can't just whip out pasta, I have to make it from scratch. So I've been craving the pasta but I've been too lazy to make it. I think I need to make it anyway.

That looks so good!