Monday, June 16, 2008

Trader Joe's helps celebrate my birthday

Trader Joe's is an excellent establishment. They have lots of crackers, cheese, cereal, inexpensive prosciutto that is entirely adequate for many uses, reasonably priced organic meats, kosher chicken, my favorite lavender bath salt scrub, and lots of booze. The checkers are quick and courteous, rarely failing to ask whether I found everything I was looking for. But yesterday they really outdid themselves. THEY CARDED ME. As in asked for my identification to determine that I was old enough to buy alcohol. THE DAY BEFORE MY 46TH BIRTHDAY (which is thus today). I couldn't decide whether to burst into tears or do a line of cartwheel through the frozen foods, so I just thanked the lad . . . several times. Who knows, maybe they've upped the limit at which they are instructed to card people to anyone who looks under 45. Or maybe he thought I looked a little tired and could use a lift. I didn't ask. At my age, you've got to take it where you can. 

And about that age. The downhill side to 50.  I'll tell you, it's not all hilarious. The wrinkles you catch in the mirror out of the side of your eye. The hands that look like they belong to someone else. The weight you can simply not run or spin off. But I'll take it. Four years ago when I had just been diagnosed with breast cancer, I asked my doctor "Will I be ok???" His answer was a brutally honest "You know I can't give you an answer to that." It turned out further biopsies, dissections, etc. proved his prediction concerning the nature of my cancer wrong. Turns out you can have a very large tumor that is not invasive. I lost a breast but kept my hair. He now tells me chances are very good that I am going to be just fine and live a long time. But I spent a couple of months around this very time of year between tests not knowing. And I remember so clearly that birthday where the only thing I wanted was more birthdays. So bring them on. Happy birthday to me. 

p.s.—Please do your monthly self-exam. Right now would be fine.

20 comments:

jillskict said...

YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!! HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! I guess we can all feel ourselves up now in your honor! :)

Today is a gift which is why they call it the present!

Angelina said...

Happy birthday!!!! I hope you have really good cheese on hand!

lisagh said...

I'm giving my ta tas a squeeze in your honor today, Cin.

A huge Happy Birthday to you today and for many more to come, my Gemini sister (I should have known!)

J said...

Happy birthday Cindy!

KK said...

Happy birthday Cindy! I hope you have a great day.

You know you don't look a day over 21, so you should get carded all the time! :)

Libby said...

In birthday cards I frequently write: "many happy returns!" In your case I really mean it from the very bottom of my heart! Happy Birthday Cindy!

Kate said...

Happy birthday, and to many, many more!

Anonymous said...

This post is so sweet, it brought tears to my eyes. And yes, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!!!

Jordan said...

Happy, happy birthday!! What a lovely post. And, damn, if TJ's asks me for ID when I'm 46 I'll fall right over.

Beth said...

Happy Birthday to you! Hope it was wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! You don't look a day over 21! ; )

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope Sophie and Husband do something wonderful for you. Better yet, do something wonderful for yourself. How in the world did you keep from hugging the TJ Clerk? :)

Belle said...

Happy birthday!!! I would have kissed him smack in the mouth. But come on, you really don't look a day over 21. :)

Monica said...

Happy birthday Cindy!! You look great and I hope you have an awesome day!

Alatcal said...

Happy Birthday Cindy! And thanks for the advice on the check-up... very much needed.

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday to you!

The Wife said...

My husband's birthday is June 16 as well! Happy birthday!

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday!

Jennifer S said...

Okay, so I'm two days late, but...


Happy Birthday!

The "and many more" that people add to the end of the birthday song really means something, doesn't it?f

Kate said...

Happy Birthday! What an inspiring story too. I guess no one really can tell you if you will be OK - you just have to decide for yourself - in the face of Cancer or just "life" that you will be ok. I'm so glad you are!!