Thursday, March 20, 2008

Blood orange cosmopolitans


Since blood oranges are readily available at my favorite produce market this time of year, the blood orange cosmopolitan seemed like the obvious choice for official ski house drink last weekend.

This recipe is from the Williams-Sonoma Cocktail Parties cookbook, by one of my favorite cookbook authors, Georgeanne Brennan. It has easy and creative recipes for appetizers and drinks, both alcoholic and non. It's one of my favorite choices off my cookbook shelf when I need some inspiration.

Here's the recipe.
BLOOD ORANGE COSMOPOLITANS
1 cup orange vodka (I used lemon vodka because that's what they had at Trader Joe's)

1/4 cup triple sec (I used Patron Citronge, which I like to think of as the poor man's Contrineau: smoother than triple sec but not as expensive as Contrineau. Also available at TG's.)


1/4 fresh squeezed blood orange juice

1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice

Serves four.
The recipe directs to shake with ice in a cocktail shaker and then strain into chilled glasses. But we can't be bothered with such niceties on a ski trip. I made a large batch the night before we left in a large pitcher with a lid. I won't tell you how many times I multiplied the recipe because then you'd think we were a bunch of ski drunks. And don't ask what we served these in. You don't want to know.

And the official song of the weekend? Right here.


Sorry I'm not more adept at linking YouTube, but the click is worth it if you're old enough to remember Deep Purple's original version of this song. I have fond memories of rocking out to it in junior high. This video is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

4 comments:

KatieGirlBlue said...

Thank you, friend, for what will certainly bring much merriment into my life.

These looks awesome. They'll be Red Desert Cosmos this weekend.

k e r r y said...

Oh man - do those look good!

Krista said...

OHhhhhhhhhh. I wonder if they have those in Mass right now?

Midge said...

Those look sooo good. I am jealous my Trader Joe's doesn't sell vodka.