Sunday, March 29, 2009

My food processor and I spend
a little quality time together

After all, I do not like to go on a ski trip without little jars of stuff. It's part of the Girl Scout in me: I like to be prepared. And if there is one thing I hate to do on a ski trip it is shop. It interferes with the ski-eat-sleep plan. So I have been scurrying around planning menus, gathering up supplies, and grinding up things. 

Here's what we've got:

Pesto Genoese: You know, the regular kind with basil, toasted pine nuts, parmesan, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil. We'll have this one night with pasta and sauteed shrimp.

Romesco Sauce: We made this here. It's great on a roast beef sandwich. 

Cilantro Pesto: Since we're going away, I'm working on cleaning out the fridge, and something had to be done with the cilantro. It's combined here with toasted almonds, shallot, garlic, white wine vinegar, olive oil, and a few shots of green Tabasco. It's great for perking up a turkey sandwich. 

Citrus Tapanade: This will be great on a sandwich or to dip bread or crackers in. Recipe below.

CITRUS TAPANADE

1 cup Kalamata olives, rinsed and pitted
2 1/2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice (I used a Mandarin)
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 anchovy fillet
zest of all of the three citruses

Zest orange, lemon, and lime and then juice. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. 


I've had so much fun organizing big ski trips (much to the exasperation of Husband, who asks "Do you have to make everything a house party???"), but I'm looking forward a trip with just my two favorite people on earth: Husband and Sophie. We have a free condo. (thanks for arranging, Mom and Dad!) in Mammoth, where we were going to meet my parents until my dad broke his leg skiing with us in Utah earlier this year. And our friend Eric, with whom I would like to enter into a polygamous marriage for just ski season each year, cannot get away from work. So it will be just the Fig chickens taking roost. We'll ski Kirkwood on the way down and then three days at Mammoth. We'll ski like demons, hit some wild hot springs, cook, read, eat, and sit around smiling at each other. Because that's what we like to do.

7 comments:

Purple Flowers said...

It sounds like an awesome time Cindy. I don't have to say enjoy, because I know you will!!!

Trish said...

As usual, I'm inspired!!

I want to try the cilantro pesto, but does it get all brown and slimy in the fridge?

Debie Napoleon said...

Wow what a great family trip - have fun!

Cid said...

Pesto, what a great idea for left over cilantro. I am so done with skiing, time to get the bikes out, but you have fun.

Deb said...

Is your food processor sad it isn't coming skiing with you?

gwendomama said...

just got back from bear and i would like to announce that we are now officially an ALL SKI FAMILY! yes, BUBBLES has hit the slopes. video soon.
will miss you at woolfcamp, but holyhell its mammoth!
(don't go in the realllllly hot hotsprings)

adozeneggs said...

I love pesto!! And everything you've made sounds incredible.
I have a recipe for a cilantro almond relish that sounds similar to yours. I serve it with shrimp cocktail, yumm!
Have a great trip and be careful!