Friday, November 21, 2008

Hillary: The new SomethingOrOther of State

As someone who voted for Hillary in the Democratic primary, I'm happy to see her receive such an important appointment as Secretary of State. But am I the only one who feels a twinge of regret over the designation of . . . secretary? Something obviously to do with this being at one time part of the triumvirate of careers viewed as acceptable for women: teacher, nurse, secretary. I know Obama isn't going to expect her to take minutes or serve coffee at cabinet meetings, but still. And yes, I know Condeleeza Rice bore this title with dignity, but she was a female minority working for the Republicans, and I just couldn't bear to watch. 


Can't Hillary be called something else? Administrative Assistant of State? No. ThingyMaBobber of State? That would be Sophie's choice, but no. Head, Vice President, Treasurer? No, no, and no.

How about Barack-Takes-Care-of-the-Economy-I-Take-Care-of-the-Rest-of-the-World General Asskicker? I think it's better than Secretary.

9 comments:

Not Skinny said...

I like your final title for Hillary. General Asskicker would look great on a business card!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I agree that General Asskicker would look swell on a business card! I'm still sad she is not in the White House and a little sad that we will lose her here in NY. But overall....this is a pretty awesome role and I know she really will kick some global butt!

I just made your Hot Buttered Rum recipe....sooo delish!

Unknown said...

While I'm not a big Hillary fan, your post cracked me up! :)

Unknown said...

Hillary's an intelligent woman and even though her title doesn't have the word 'asskicker' in it, we all know she is one. I read a report of when Mr. Clinton was preparing his confessional speech about Ms. Lewinsky and when Hillary walked into the room everyone stiffened and Bill asked her about a part of his speech and she told him 'you got yourself into this, you'll get yourself out.' Go Girl.

Marla said...

How about Barack-Takes-Care-of-the-Economy-I-Take-Care-of-the-Rest-of-the-World General Asskicker? I think it's better than Secretary.... I think that is a title I can get behind. I need to see how to manage that on the homefront!

KatieGirlBlue said...

HA! I wonder if she'll get a coffee mug full of carnations on Administrative Assistants day?

preppyplayer said...

I agree with you. Secretary of anything sounds submissive... but we all know that secretaries were the ones who REALLY ran the office;)

Does anyone else think that Hillary's head looks like it has been added onto another body in this photo?
Love your blog.

Deb said...

I am now going to refer to myself as an asskicker. Love it. Love Hillary too, and I also voted for her in the primary.

gandr said...

Think Henry Kissinger.