Friday, October 30, 2009

What I hankered for

State Farm paid me more than I needed to fix my motor scooter after a client of their so rudely backed her minivan over it. It didn't ask or expect them to—they just did! Whee!

I banked most of my windfall into the Fig Scooter Trust Fund (these little Italian bikes save a ton on gas and parking but are quite expensive to maintain) but diverted just enough to treat myself to something I have wanted for years:

A pair of these.

I have an old pair of boots that is wearing out and no longer keeps my feet dry in the rain, so the time seemed right to indulge myself.

And I would just like to say THEY ROCK! Sturdy and comfortable, with a great hard rubber sole that is perfect for winter scooter riding. There's nothing harder than trying to kick the bike back onto its stand with a slick leather sole. And these boots will probably last a life time. My only complaint is that with my high instep they're a battle to get on. I can deal with it now, but I'm concerned that my nursing attendants in the home may have trouble getting them on me, and I want to be sure to be wearing them when they wheel me down the hall for meals. Maybe I can have some discrete little zippers put on the back.

They also look fabulous—great with jeans or a long skirt. And sort of western but not too cowboy, which would be sort of silly.

And I like the snap they put in my step. Actually more than a snap—more like a little two step.



Pick it up at
When I'm slow on the draw and I need something to chaw,
I hanker for a hunk of cheese!
. . .
When my get up and go has got up and went,
I hanker for a hunk of cheese!
When I'm dancin' the hoedown and my boots kinda slow down,
Or anytime I'm weak in the knees,
I hanker for a hunk of,
A slab, a slice, a chuck of
A snack that is a winner,
And yet won't spoil my dinner,
I hanker for a hunk of cheese!
Oh, well. We can't all take our fashion inspiration from Ralph Lauren.

7 comments:

Kate said...

I have a pair of Frye Campus boots that I wear a lot this time of year...but I love those Harness boots...may have to go on my Christmas list!

Purple Flowers said...

These boots are shit-kickin'
I love them!

What is Sophie going to be for Halloween?

lisagh said...

I love that little movie... I can totally see you struttin' in yer boots singing along ;)

Kate said...

I keep hearing how great Frye boots are, so I may have to look into these. I love the style!

Laura said...

Oh those are perfection! Perfect for some street stomping, you certainly wouldn't have too many people messing with you with a pair of those on.

adozeneggs said...

Love the video. I think I sang along and knew every word.
Nice boots too.

sutros said...

A good story

GK Chesterton: “The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.”

Voila: www.tastingtoeternity.com. This book is a poetic view of 30 of the best loved French cheeses with an additional two odes to cheese. Recipes, wine pairing, three short stories and an educational section complete the book.

From a hectic life in New York City to the peace and glories of the French countryside lead me to be the co-founder of www.fromages.com. Ten years later with the words of Pierre Androuet hammering on my brain:

“Cheese is the soul of the soil. It is the purest and most romantic link between humans and the earth.”

I took pen and paper; many reams later with the midnight oil burning Tasting to Eternity was born and self published.

I believe cheese and wine lovers should be told about this publication.

Enjoy