Friday, January 23, 2009

We're packing up the sticks!

And all sorts of other gear to head to Alta, Utah tomorrow in search of snow. Not hard scratchy stuff that melts in the day and freezes again at night. We've got that in the Sierras. We want the real stuff.


This is our first destination ski trip as a family. Amazing the amount of stuff needed (this isn't all of it).

For the three of us, we have five sets of skis, ski boots, snow boots, apre ski boots, helmets, radios, ski clothes, dinner clothes, and sandwich makings. Yes, the lodge where we will be staying serves breakfast and dinner but not lunch, which I've been convinced to supply. It won't be the first time I've slapped together sandwiches in a hotel bathroom.

We're a little concerned that we have too much stuff.


Could we save by shipping the kid and her skis? Blogger pal Katie offered to receive gear we might want to ship. Do you think she would mind this package?

We fly home Wednesday night, do a quick turnaround on Thursday (wash the ski clothes, pack more food) and drive up to Tahoe that evening so Sophie can be on the slopes first thing Friday morning for her NASTC Kids Ski Camp. Did I mention I have a moms' (no dudes or kids allowed) ski trip the next weekend? I know. 

12 comments:

Coffee with Cathy said...

Love your blog! So glad I found it -- have fun on your trip. My job during family ski vacations (since we live in Alabama and we're not rich, they're few and far between) is to stand at the bottom of the slopes near the lodge and say, "Awesome run! Great job!" I've very good at it.

Purple Flowers said...

Hey, have a GREAT time!!

TLA said...

Oh, so jealous! I havent snow skied in 3 years (if you can call it that on the East coast!)

Isnt it amazing the amount of gear you have to lug on a sporting vacation? You should see me trying to drag my stuff down to HH every time I visit my parents...not to mention the outrageous baggage fees these days!

Have a great vacation and thank you for the support on the outdated posts :)

preppyplayer said...

So jealous. Make sure you have a coffee at Alta java
for me.
Enjoy Sugar Loaf, our favorite prt of the resort.

KSK said...

Grew up skiing in Colo. rockies - I get your craving for that snow!!! (Now I live in Seattle where local skiing is ... whatstheword... crap?) have a WONDERFUL time!

Deb said...

Have a super time! Cute picture of Sophie!!

Trish said...

Alta Java is the best! Have a great time. My hubby says Alta is the best (i never got off the beginners).

Did you know there is an Alta-Snowbird dual pass? That will allow you to ski all the lifts that border both resorts? And that if your husband buys it and forgets to tell you then he'll be gone all day (literally - 7 hours) skiing and you'll think he'll have died in an avalanche.

Have a wonderful time!

Jen Yu said...

Have fun and give Katie a big hug for me :) Rip it up, woman! xxoo

Midwest Mom said...

This flatlander is so *jealous!*

I hope you and your family are having tons of fun!! :)

- Julia at Midwest Moms

Kate said...

Have a great time!!!

lisagh said...

GAH! Can I just start this unrelated comment by saying "I hate Bloglines?" I'm sitting here tonight and I'm thinking to myself, "Gee, haven't heard from Cindy in a while, WTF?" So, instead of relying on the ol' effin' Bloglines, I venture on over to Figs, proper, and lo and behold, I've missed a TON of posts. Hmph.

I even called you about a week or so ago and didn't get a call back so I was all worried and crap.

Anyway, give me a dingle when you get back from your trip.

MISS YOU!!!! mwah mwah mwah

KatieGirlBlue said...

Oh, I wouldn't have minded that package in the LEAST!!!

Of course, your poor child would have starved to death if left in my care. Let's just say that I've never cooked with a caper and I don't keep fennel on hand (see how I've integrated past and future Figs posts into my comment? Can you tell I'm a "true" reader?).

I'm so sorry to hear about your Papa. I'm glad he's on the mend (I'm commenting on al your recent posts in this one comment...I hope that's not a problem). Scary stuff. And maybe even scarry stuff.